2007년 6월 17일 일요일

Jazz dance means going on a diet for many weight-conscious women

I don't know since when, but the words jazz dance and belly dancing have changed their meanings for many Korean women, notably in their 30's and 40's, from their original meanings as two different kinds of dancing, to a new common meaning of 'the same kind of ways to lose weight'.

As you walk along the streets in Seoul, Korea, you can easily spot these types of banners advertising dancing schools, but their subtitles are not how fun or worth trying these dances are, but about how much weight you can shed within how short time.

This particular banner that I took photo of didn't go as far as to 'promise' that you will lose 10kg a month or they will refund the money, but some other banners that I've seen were putting up such impossible promises. And I don't know how they manage. Well, truth to be told, I don't really want to know.

But I can say with certainty that this is not right because what they teach you in these types of schools is not how to enjoy dancing and enjoy a more healthy life, but they offer to become your 'trainers', who will keep you moving, just like trainers at gyms.

All this comes from the national craze for thinner and thinner legs and waistlines, and as a man I must admit that some of my friends actually did look much better after their three months of hardcore training in dance schools, but please, as a person who loves dancing myself, I don't want to see the publicity lines like "8kg a month guaranteed" or "full refund on failure" along with a beautiful word like dance~~~!

Read more about life and travel in Korea at my other blog, http://localkorea.blogspot.com

댓글 없음: